Thursday, June 7, 2012

Where is gurulib!?!

UPDATE (6/18/12): As I mentioned a couple of years ago, the site has major problems and shuts down with no warning and no explanation or message. In fact, the last time this happened, it did start up again and I went back on and there was an option to export all your library information. I did that and saved it to my computer. (Unfortunately, my computer crashed and I ended up losing all the files I had not saved since my last back-up, including my gurulib library export file.) Anyway, if the site ever does come back again, I can only recommend that anyone who uses it, export all their library info and save it on their computer and then never use the site again. This disappearing act happens way too often and the site is too unreliable. Again, if anyone ever finds a comparable alternative, please share the link here. Also, if anyone knows how to replicate a web program that would do the same thing gurulib does, please let me know. I would love to create an alternative to gurulib- without all the glitches and shutting down crap...

I know it's not the same thing, but for people who love books and go through them as quickly as I do, the site http://www.swap.com/ (formerly known as swaptree.com) is AWESOME! You can create have and want lists and then trade with people for free. The only cost is the shipping of the books, which is really cheap. (I've always paid under $3 per book.) The website actually goes through the process for you so that they will match your "wants" and "haves" with others and it's incredibly simple. There is a rating system so it's very reliable and honest. I've used it many, many times and never had any problems AND the site is ALWAYS up and running!! FYI: The site has expanded so you can swap just about anything, but I've only used the books section.


UPDATE (1/21/10): Once again, gurulib is offline with no explanation or redirect link. As far as I can tell, this is the third major site disappearing act. I don’t know about you, but I will no longer use the site- if it ever resurfaces again. It is completely unacceptable and irresponsible of the owners to do this to its users. If anyone has additional information, please post here and I will do the same. Thanks! I have been trying to access the site for over a week and have been unable to do so! What has happened to the site? Is it gone for good? Have I lost my library- a library which I spent hours building- forever?! Why is there no information about this? I have been googling to try to find information on why the site seems to be gone, but nothing… The frustration is unprecedented. I am furious and curious and utterly depressed.

18 comments:

  1. I hope it comes back. I inventoried 993 books and then poof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it comes back. I inventoried 993 books and then poof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the first time this has happened. I know it's happened at least three times since 2009. It is extremely frustrating so I stopped using it altogether. It's a real shame because I really liked it and I liked it better than similar sites that are supposed to do the same thing. If I could figure out how to replicate the site, I would redo it myself and oversee it so it would never shut down. It's a lot of work to inventory all those books! If it does start up again, I'd recommend downloading the info you inventoried and saving it. I also wouldn't recommend using it again after that. It just shuts down too often.

      Good luck though and if you find a similar site that you like, please post the link here. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Me too!! I am discouraged. Our small library was using them and we had 2500 books entered and poof they are gone!! I would pay for this service. It was awesome and easy and nothing else out there quite fits the bill. I think it is disgusting that they didn't let people know so that they could get their files!! Now what do we do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I been searching for answers but found nothing. I was half way through adding my library when they shut down. Normally, I would have made a back up but didn't think just a week later they would shut down. I would have at least liked a warning. I have tried several library catalogs but Gurulib was my favorite... now, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would recomend highly using librarything. I have been using for about four years it is the most reliable and best out there. I was using gurulib for my dvds and librarything for my books. I am disappointed with gurulib to say the least. Any suggestions on a good DVD inventory site?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm upset too. I've been using it for years and have over a thousand books up there. It's frustrating b/c the last time I exported was a long time ago, so it's useless. I too will never use them again if / when they come back up. It's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.phdamericanhistoryonline.com/blog/2008/100-tips-and-tools-for-managing-your-personal-library/

    Found this older list of other websites and software for organizing books and other media in your personal library. Haven't picked one out to try yet though

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found several different sites but nothing close to what I had with gurulib.com. I could care less about sharing and rating every book. I want something that I can use on my phone, tablet, and computer (mac and windows) that I can update my inventory with and would quit buying duplicates of everything. The one file I had from gurulib that I saved is in a text format and nothing can handle the size of that file  I am soooo frustrated. I have tried messaging people with the names of the founders on facebook but since no one responds I am afraid they will eventually think I am stalking them. Pfft! Jeepers! Has anyone found anything comparable to gurulib.com yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can someone remind me what type of file gurulib used for us to export our libraries? I think I made a backup, but I can't find it. Was it an .xls? Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is but I'm not even sure. I deleted my exported file a couple of years ago after they went dark the first time. I stopped using them altogether after the second time so I didn't even bother exporting, but from what I remember, I think it was .xls.

      Delete
  10. I had an even larger file, I think 7000, and would definitely pay to get my data! I thought perhaps the site had migrated to the gurulib.wordpress.com site, but haven't been able to get onto that site either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had my DVDs and CDs on it, but not books - preferred LibraryThing for them.

    I doubled up my DVDs on Take11 after a previous disappearance and I definitely recommend it. I preferred GuruLib, though - simpler to use - and Take11 is specifically for DVDs, so it's no good for CDs.

    I've yet to find a decent CD-cataloging site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lost all my book record.... That is really bad without any notice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too lost my records. I had about 400+ collections from my library. Not sure what to try next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take a look at http://www.libib.com, really cool alternative to gurulib.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That looks pretty good. I'll have to try it out.

      Delete
  15. I also was very disappointed with Gurulib's constantly going down after logging a great number of books. However, I currently use LibraryThing and it is great. You can use it free for up to a limited number of books, but I bought the lifetime membership for around $40 and have all my books catalogued. I highly recommend LibraryThing. You can have friends, see others catalogs, share reviews, view your library via book covers or lists, by authors or book titles or any number of ways. Check it out. If you join you can friend me, C.J.McBride-Stern is my library name.

    ReplyDelete