Thursday, June 7, 2012

FedEx World Service Center Bronx, NY

FedEx World Service Center 670 East 132nd Street, Bronx, NY 10454

(6/18/2010) I wasn’t home for the delivery and usually the FedEx guy calls me and we coordinate, or if for some reason he can’t reach me, he leaves it at my door or he knows my downstairs neighbors will take it. Maybe it was a different guy today, but I can't wait until Monday for the package so I'm thinking, OK, I’ll go pick it up at the Bronx location. I don’t know my way around the Bronx, but how bad can it be since it’s a FedEx World Service Center? I tried to get directions from hopstop. Their first direction after exiting the subway is to turn right on “unknown street.” Wtf is that?! Next, I tried google. I kept thinking there was a problem with the map because there were no streets listed, but obviously it’s not a technical glitch. I don't know what to do. I need my package, but I don't want to go to some sketchy neighborhood in the Bronx, especially alone! Plus, I get lost really, really easily. I don’t really have a choice but to go, so when (if) I return later tonight, I will write another review and tell you what happened. If I don’t write again, you know I never made it back…

Update: I made it! OK, I went and I took photos too so I am going to post them here so people know what to expect. First of all, it wasn’t as difficult to find as I had anticipated, but that is only because I finally got decent directions by combining directions from FedEx and studying the map before I went. Prepare for a strange, long walk though. It IS in the middle of an empty field and it’s definitely in the middle of nowhere. Here are the directions from the subway that worked for me.

Directions:
1. Take the 6 train to BROOK AVENUE (& E 138 St.)
2. When you exit the subway station, walk South on Brook Ave towards E 137 St.
3. Keep walking south several blocks until you get to BRUCKNER BLVD.
4. Make a LEFT onto BRUCKNER Blvd and you will hit ST. ANN’S AVENUE (which runs parallel to Brook Ave.)
5. At St. Ann’s, cross Bruckner Blvd and continue going South until you get to the next block (which I think is E 132 St.)
6. You will see a little red guard booth in front of what looks like the entrance to a parking lot or the back entrance to a building. Walk towards the guard booth.
7. You can ask the guard to point you in the right direction or just walk past him as if you were a car driving into the “lot” and turn LEFT following the road (there is only one way to turn anyway). Just follow the road.
8. When you turn the corner, you will see a bridge, a field, old train tracks and a couple of old train cars and pretty much nothing. Just follow the road to nowhere until you get to the bridge area and by then you’ll see the FedEx building on your RIGHT. Just walk along the edge of the road and it will lead you there. It does feel really strange walking in the middle of nowhere. There aren’t many cars, but a few FedEx trucks passed by.

Like I said, it’s strange, but I felt pretty safe and I’m a girl and I was by myself. I wouldn’t go when it was dark out, but as I was leaving it was starting to get dark and it was fine. Anyway, I hope this helps! Good luck and tell FedEx they are insane for putting this “World Service Center” out in the middle of nowhere!



No comments:

Post a Comment